Home

Thursday, August 11, 2011

August 11 – Paris of the Middle East

There’s something about the Middle East that I love and Lebanon brings this out even more. It’s a very unique country mixing Arab tradition in a European atmosphere.  There is nothing nicer than sitting at a street side café, smoking shisha and sipping a cold beer while the mosques’ call to prayer echo through the streets. 
Lebanon is booming and you can really see it in Beirut and the other coastal cities where cranes and development are virtually everywhere you look. The people (at least those with money) live very lavish lifestyles driving expensive cars, wearing designer clothes, using the latest cellphones and eating at expensive restaurants. Despite Lebanon’s growth, there is still a large portion of the population that remain very poor and the divide is quite clear.  
Some people think it’s strange that I like coming here; after all I’m a North American Jew visiting an Arab country with a history of conflict with Israel. But none of this matters. Out of all the countries I’ve ever visited, I always feel the safest and most welcome here. Every time I go out to a bar, people want to talk to us, find out where we from and why we here. And those that discover that I’m Jewish are usually very excited to talk to me – some have never actually met a Jew before.  
Despite ongoing political tensions, life goes on like any western city. The country’s issues are virtually hidden to visitors. People are swimming, going out for dinner, drinking the night away at bars and shopping at the high end clothing stores. The people here just love to live life. In addition to the amazing people-vibe, the landscape itself is beautiful with a gorgeous Mediterranean coast line, tall mountains, lush valleys and beautiful European-style villages sprinkled throughout. 
Lebanon is often referred to as the Paris of the Middle East and it definitely lives up to this reputation. I strongly recommend that everyone put it on their “to visit” list and I promise you will not be disappointed.




FAMILY:

 

 

 










DIRTY THIRTY:

 

2 comments:

  1. When I was a kid, Oupa used to tell me that we choose our parents before we are born (Budhist theology), meanning that we have things to learn from them. I believe the opposite is also true: that parents can learn a great deal from their offspring. I learned alot (about myself and the two of you)during your short visit with us. It was fun, productive, joyful, and only a little tearful. I am truly blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed your visit with us, particularly your new life style with your new/increased appreciation for outdoor, nature and physical activities. Keep-up hiking, walking, cycling and swimming! A la prochaine. Elie

    ReplyDelete